Illawarra’s Star Rises!
It comes as no surprise to me that Illawarra it is a great place to live and work. Having moved to the 'Gong' from regional NSW in my mid teens, I have enjoyed this great natural environment with all the benefits of city life. In my role as Illawarra chair of the Property Council of Australia, I recently had the privilege to lead a panel discussion reviewing the economic outlook for the region. Brian Haratsis, Director from MacroPlan Dimasi, gave an energetic and insightful presentation on the strong economic performance of the Illawarra, signposting the variety of opportunities for growth in different sectors over the coming years. His optimistic analysis of where the Illawarra economy currently is, and its potential growth trajectory, particularly in health, tourism and education sectors, was well received by attendees. http://issuu.com/edmistonjones/docs/pca_feb_2016_illawarra_outlook_2016?e=22087486/34173927 Read Brian's full presentation here. Brian’s bird’s eye view of the region in relation to Sydney, the nation and the global economy was complemented by a local perspective from developer, Jennifer Macquarie (Fountaindale), and real estate agent, Tim Jones (MMJ). The Illawarra’s current economic position was highlighted as having;
- The third largest Economy in NSW with solid jobs growth in comparison to Sydney.
- A strong transition to a diverse services based economy in education, health care and retail.
- An upturn in the residential market as a primary driver of the economy.
- Centrality – well located for freight and logistics,
- Connectivity- proximity to Sydney and the west and
- Regional Specialisation – Health, Education & Tourism.